Tucked behind beautiful rhododendron bushes is a large granite rock with a plaque honoring V. Everit Macy, 1871-1930. V. E. Macy built a successful chain of newspapers in Westchester and was the first Commissioner of Public Welfare. As commissioner, he oversaw the growth of the Grasslands poorhouse complex into the first county hospital in New York, now Westchester Medical Center. While many of his countless acts of generosity went unheralded, his achievements as Superintendent of the Poor and President of the Westchester County Park Commission were widely known. David Rockefeller, Jr. called him “the kindest man I ever knew.” A portion of the 172-acre Macy Park, bisected by the Saw River Parkway and NY State Thruway, lies within the trailway system.
On the northern shore of the reservoir is a beautiful rock dedicated in 1984 to the Rev. Dr. Frederick Jenkins. While Pastor of the Irvington Presbyterian church from 1959-1984, he held Easter Sunday sunrise services overlooking the reservoir.
The largest remaining wetlands in southern Westchester, this area is home to many migratory and all-season resident birds, as well as a variety of turtles, reptiles and other water creatures
This striking glacial erratic was carried miles to its Irvington home by glacial ice.
This man made pond is a part of the Barney Brook watershed. Ice Pond was used to harvest ice for storage in the icehouses on the nearby estates. Before refrigeration, the ice was needed to preserve perishable foods.
In 1810 Johann Wilhelm Stolting was born in Heligoland (Germany) in the North Sea. He was well educated and spoke German, Greek, French and Hebrew. Although he was a teacher, linguist, scientist and landowner; at the end of his days he became a recluse, making buttons on a homemade lathe to support his few needs. The eccentric Stolting roamed the streets and woods and bathed in the Saw Mill and Hudson Rivers. In a small shed on his land overlooking the Saw Mill River valley, he slept in his own coffin made of local chestnut wood. Stolting was a fascinating figure, and became known as the Hermit of Irvington. He died in Irvington on January 10, 1888. His is the only marked grave in the village.
This man made pond is a part of the Barney Brook watershed.